The School co-ordinates postgraduate level academic programmes for the Faculties and Departments within the Institute. With regard to its coordinating role, the SoGSaR’s mandate under the direction of the Board of School of Graduate Studies and Research includes: Promoting the development, diversification and effective delivery of post-graduate programmes to address emerging national issues; and accreditation of all faculty teaching and supervising postgraduate programmes to maintain high standards and ensure high quality postgraduate programme output. Additionally, the SoGSaR deals with all matters which have to do with admission, registration and records, examination of theses and dissertations, official correspondence and welfare of postgraduate students. It also regulates and offers advice on postgraduate programmes being offered in the Institute’s affiliate institutions.
The programmes that are currently being coordinated by the SoGSaR include: Master of Arts (MA) in Public Relations, Master of Arts (MA) in Development Communication, Master of Arts (MA) in Media Management, Master of Arts (MA) in Journalism and it is seeking accreditation to introduce Master of Philosophy MPhil) in all the existing four (4) MA programmes.
The Institute is envisioned to become the preferred communication training institution in Africa, upholding high academic standards and producing world class professionals for the transformation of society. It is poised to remain a highly academic professional communication institution, serving the needs of students, the industry and society. The core values of the Institute include: Commitment to excellence, Linking theory and practice, Ensuring accountability with integrity, excellent teaching and learning environment. Thus the Institute, in its undertaking, has the distinction of being Africa’s first school of journalism, poised to make an important contribution to the communication and media industries globally, and specifically, to the nation. It is committed to creating an enabling environment that makes it increasingly relevant to national and global development through cutting-edge research as well as high quality teaching and learning.
As a first class center of excellence in journalism, communication and media studies, the Institute has its core philosophy as the provision of world class education for students and facilitating the learning and development of journalists, media practitioners and communication experts through extensive lectures, tutorials and practical training in the core areas of journalism, communication, media and public relations and advertising.
Our students are confident and come across as relevant individuals in their respective careers across the globe. We are not only proud of the myriad opportunities and knowledge we offer the international community but also, we take pride in our postgraduate students and alumni, and we believe that every incoming postgraduate student adds to our legacy of academic and professional excellence. Our faculty members are highly qualified professionals and very experienced in using relevant innovative methods in imparting knowledge, thereby making the teaching and learning experience very stimulating.
I am confident that the Institute can meet and exceed your expectations for postgraduate studies. We are proud of the opportunities and experiences that the Institute offers every day, and we hope you will become part of our family. We look forward to welcoming you soon to the Ghana Institute of Journalism SoGSaR.
Collins Adu-Bempah Brobbey (PhD)
To become the preferred communication training institution in Africa, upholding high academic standards and producing world class professionals for the transformation of society.
To remain a highly academic professional communication institution, serving the needs of students, the industry and society.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC RELATIONS & ADVERTISING HOSTING MA IN PUBLIC RELATIONS (MAPR)
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION HOSTING MA IN DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATION (MADC)
DEPARTMENT OF JOURNALISM AND MEDIA STUDIES HOSTING MA IN JOURNALISM (MAJN)& MEDIA MANAGEMENT (MAMM)
MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN JOURNALISM
MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN MEDIA MANAGEMENT
MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN PUBLIC RELATIONS (REGULAR & WEEKEND)
MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATION
Postgraduate Admission Processes
1. The following are the two (2) modalities for admitting students into the postgraduate programmes:
2. In the case of the Direct Admission (DA), applicants are admitted based on qualification merit in accordance with the minimum requirement prescribed by the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC).
3. For the Entrance Examination and Selection Interviews (EESI), GIJ reserves the right to conduct admission entrance examination and selection interviews. In this case, the final decision for selection rests with the department to which the applicant is seeking admission.
Introduction of New Programmes
- MASTER OF ARTS IN POLITICAL COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT (MPCM)
- MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY (MPHIL) PROGRAMMES
- DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (PhD)
Have you any need kindly let us know via mail
- The admission (in collaboration with academic departments) of domestic and international postgraduate students;
- Monitoring postgraduate student academic progress and probation and certifying graduate students for graduation;
- Maintaining records of postgraduate policies and the postgraduate catalogue including preserving data regarding postgraduate programmes and students;
- Assisting HoDs to develop new postgraduate programmes and/or to revise the existing programmes in accordance with the requisites of Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) and the SoGSaR’s vision and mission and to build on existing strengths of the faculty that would help attract postgraduates students as well as to distinguish the SoGSaR from its competitive peers;
- Collaborating with HoDs in initiating new postgraduate programmes that shall reflect global trends and cater to local and regional market needs;
- Collaborating with academic departments, Deans and International Relations Office, to market the postgraduate programmes through a variety of approaches (e.g., seminars, print and electronic media outfits);
- Cooperating with HODs and Deans in developing joint postgraduate programmes with international academic institutions;
- Collaborating with the Director of Research and HoDs to foster a vibrant and stimulating research culture and ecosystem by promoting inter/multi-disciplinary postgraduate research activities at SoGSaR;
- Collaborating with the Director of Research to set research targets and seek opportunities for faculty and postgraduate students to obtain external research grants from partner organizations and businesses;
- Cooperating with the Director of Research and the HoDs to organize national and international scientific conferences, workshops and seminars on undertaking research and writing for publications, as well as instituting an Annual Research Day (ARD) for presenting awards to outstanding faculty and/or students in research;
- Continually, promoting consistency, compliance, quality and relevance of all postgraduate programmes in accordance with SoGSaR and GTEC policies;
- Collaborating with HODs in designing policies to retain outstanding postgraduate students for recruitment through postgraduate scholarships and awards from both Internally Generated Funds (IGF) and external corporate sources;
- Collaborating with HODs and Deans to develop, periodically assess, and modify policies and procedures to continuously enhance the quality of research and postgraduate programmes at SoGSaR in order to meet international quality standards and achieve excellence;
- Collaborating with HODs to organize special short courses in communication, media and public relations for students with no prior background in these fields of study to enable them to catch up with their peers;
- Assisting the Dean of Students in supervising Graduate Student Association (GRASAG) extra curriculum activities and alumni network.