The primary clientele of the library includes the following:
- Faculty Staff
- GIJ Students
- Administrators of the Institute
The general public is also allowed to use resources of the library.
All categories of users are required to register with the library as (borrowers) at the Circulation Desk.
|Category||Total No. of Items||Loan Period|
|Faculty Staff||3 books||30 days|
|Students||3 books||14 days|
|Non-faculty Staff||2 books||14 days|
Reference books are not borrowable. Periodicals, newspapers, journals, past questions, dissertations and project works may also not be borrowed.
Student ID shall be requested in all forms of borrowing.
Users need to complete all the information provided in the borrowers’ book.
Return books to the circulation desk and make sure your name is signed off by the Officer at the circulation desk.
Items may be renewed again and again provided no reader requests for the material.
Overdue materials 50p per item per day.
Lost materials – thrice the current price of the item plus processing charge of GH¢10.00
Care of Books
- No book is to be written in, cut, or damaged in any way.
- Readers must not trace any picture or figure from any book/material.
- Readers and borrowers will be held responsible for any damage to a book in their charge and will be required to pay the appropriate cost of such damaged books.
Offenses and Sanctions
The following shall constitute library offenses:
For unlawful acquisition or stealing of library materials, the following sanctions shall be applied:
- Ordinary books – The member shall lose borrowing rights for one semester.
- Reference books – The member shall lose borrowing rights for one semester.
- Rare Books – The member shall lose the right to use the library for two semesters.
- Mutilation of books and related materials – The member shall lose borrowing rights for two semesters.
- Failure to return books and other materials on demand (i.e. when a book is recalled) – The member shall lose borrowing rights for one semester.
- Silence must be observed at all times.
- Smoking is forbidden in all parts of the library.
- No food or drink is allowed in any part of the library, toffees, fruits, etc. are not exempted.
- Do not reserve a seat.
- Books would not be issued to borrowers without student ID card.
- Library books used should be left on the reading tables. Readers should not attempt to shelve any book after use.
- Orderly conduct must be maintained at all times in the library.
- Users must take out valuables and leave their bags with the security at the entrance of the library.
- Take off caps and hats while in the library.